Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Tattered Seams Poster and T-shirt

T-shirt
The first step I took to design the shirt was picking if I wanted to do a traditional shirt or an Amardo Family t-shirt. I chose the Amardo Family Circus t-shirt because it was a different design from the years previous. I really wanted to incorporate a circus tent and some sort of a ringmaster. I put the words and design inside tent to make it feel unified. Finally I really wanted some sort of border around the design and I decided on stars.
I wanted to make my t-shirt red because red is a color that is usually associated with circuses. Also a black and white graphic looks really nice on red. I really wanted to focus on the brighter and happier side of the circus that the Amardo Family Circus is trying to convey. So I tried to use white in as many places on the shirt as possible to create the happy feel of the shirt. I chose a non traditional circus font because I felt sometimes traditional ones looked a little to western for my liking.
I started the process of creating my t-shirt by drawing it out in my sketch book. I then found pictures of a circus tent and a female ringmaster to trace over in illustrator. It took me a few tries to trace the ringmaster, I kept having trouble connecting the shapes so they could be filled in. But after 3 or 4 tries she was colored in and the tent was done. I chose the font and put the border on and called it done.
I am satisfied with the finale product. I feel it met the original request from the client, I think it portrays a happy and family friendly circus. Over all I am proud of myself with the final product that I created.



Poster
The idea for the poster is originally Cheyenne's idea. I had another idea, I tried to execute it on Photoshop and failed, so I joined Cheyenne to create this poster. We really wanted to show the darker and sadder side of the play through the poster. By using the dark blue and facial expression of the actors we were able to convey the sadness and darkness. I am not sure how Cheyenne came up with the original idea for poster.
As I said before by using dark colors and the actors we were able to show the darkness and sadness in the play. We chose white writing so it would show up on the dark background and it had a nice contrast with the background. We chose the same font for the Tattered Seams and the info to create unity throughout the poster. We wanted the quote to stand out from the rest of the writing on the poster so we made it a different font. We chose to make the poster landscape instead of portrait because to fit the pictures of the actors the poster needed to be landscape. 
The first step we took to make this poster was picking out colors of font and background and picking font. We spent 1 class discussing the layout and other small details of the poster. We had the actors come in and took pictures of them. The next step was putting ever thing together, we spent around 2 classes putting the pictures and words on the poster and playing with masks and opacity to create the faded look. 
I am not fully satisfied with the final product. I feel like if I spent a little more time on the pictures of the actors the poster could have turned out better. I am also not to happy with the font we chose for the quote, I feel like it looks to out of place with the rest of the poster. With more time these posters could be better. 




No comments:

Post a Comment